Homeownership comes with a lot of responsibility – one of which is keeping your roof in good condition. But how do you know when it’s time for a repair or replacement? In this article, we’ll explore the difference between wear and tear and damage to help you make an informed decision about your roof.
Roofs are subject to a lot of wear and tear. Every day, they’re bombarded with UV rays, wind, rain, and snow. Over time, this constant exposure can take its toll, leading to cracks, leaks, and other problems.
However, not all roof problems are caused by wear and tear. Sometimes, damage can occur suddenly, due to a severe storm, for example. Other times, it can be the result of poor installation or shoddy materials.
What Is Wear and Tear?
Wear and tear is the gradual deterioration of a roof due to age, exposure to the elements, and foot traffic. Many roofs will last for 20-30 years before needing to be replaced, but some may only last 10-15 years.
Signs of Wear and Tear: When To Get a Repair
The first step is to inspect your roof and identify the problem. If you notice any of the following, then a repair may be all that’s needed:
- Loose or missing shingles: Over time, shingles can become loose or fall off completely. This usually happens as a result of normal wear and tear but can also be caused by severe weather conditions.
- Cracked shingles: Like loose or missing shingles, cracked shingles are usually the result of normal wear and tear but can also be the result of a severe storm.
- Leaks: Roof leaks can be caused by a variety of factors, including loose or missing shingles, cracked shingles, and damaged flashing.
- Damaged flashing: Flashing is the metal strips that are used to seal the joints between your roof and chimney, vents, and skylights. Over time, the sealant can deteriorate, allowing water to seep in and causing damage.
- Ice dams: Ice dams are a common problem in cold weather climates. They happen when melting snow on your roof refreezes, causing a blockage that stops water from draining correctly. This can lead to leaks and other problems.
If you notice any of these problems, it’s important to have them repaired as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
What Is Involved in a Roof Repair?
The type of repair you need will depend on the severity of the damage. For minor problems, such as a few loose or missing shingles, a repair can be as simple as replacing those shingles.
For more serious problems, such as leaks and damaged flashing, you may need to replace the affected area. This usually involves removing the old shingles, flashing, and sealant and installing new ones.
In some cases, a complete roof replacement may be necessary. This usually happens when a roof is more than 20 years old or has sustained major damage.
What Is Roof Damage?
Damage is any type of structural damage to your roof that is not caused by normal wear and tear. It can be the result of a severe storm, a tree falling on your house, or even a wayward baseball. Roof damage is often more serious than wear and tear, and it can lead to leaks, drafts, and other problems.
How To Identify Damage on Your Roof: When To Get a Replacement
A repair may not be enough if the damage to your roof is severe. If you notice any of the following, then a replacement may be necessary:
- Large holes or cracks: Large holes or cracks can be caused by severe weather, falling trees, or other objects. They can also be the result of poor installation or shoddy materials.
- Sagging: Sagging usually indicates that the supports underneath your roof are failing. This can be caused by water damage, rot, or other problems.
- Light shining through: If you can see light shining through your roof, then it’s time for a replacement.
- The roof is more than 20 years old: Even if you don’t see any problems, it’s a good idea to replace your roof every 20-30 years. This will prevent problems down the road and keep your home in good condition.
- Roofline: If you notice any changes in your roofline, such as drooping or dipping, then this is also a sign that you need a replacement.
- multiple leaks: If you have multiple leaks or if the leaks are large, then a roof replacement is likely needed.
- Frequent repairs: If you find yourself making frequent repairs to your roof, then it’s probably time for a replacement.
What Is Involved in a Roof Replacement?
A roof replacement is a major project, and it’s important to choose a reputable contractor to do the job. The process usually involves removing the old roof, repairing any damage to the roof deck, and installing new shingles, flashing, and sealant. In some cases, a new layer of decking may be necessary.
The cost of the replacement will also depend on the kind of shingle you select. The most popular and least priced type of shingles in Kansas City is asphalt, but they don’t last as long as other options. Metal and slate roofing is more durable, but they’re also more expensive.
A roof replacement is a big job, and it’s important to make sure that it’s done right. That’s why it’s always a good idea to hire a professional roofing contractor to handle the job.
Hiring a Professional Roofing Contractor
When it comes to roofing, it’s always best to leave it to the professionals. An experienced roofer will be able to quickly identify any problems and recommend the best course of action. They can also help you choose the right materials and ensure that your roof is installed properly.
If you’re not sure whether you need a repair or replacement, then it’s a good idea to consult with a roofing professional. They can assess the condition of your roof and help you make the best decision for your home. Roof repairs and replacements can be expensive, so it’s important to make sure that you’re getting the best possible service.
If you notice that your roof is beginning to show signs of damage, it may be time to seek a professional replacement. A new roof can improve the appearance and structural integrity of your home, not to mention its value! Rolox Home Services is a home remodeling company that specializes in roof replacement and installation. If you’re considering a new roof, Rolox is the perfect choice. We offer financing so you can have the roof you want at your convenience, and our focus on replacement means we’ll get the job done right at an affordable price. Request an in-home consultation today to see how Rolox can help you!