If you’re planning to install brand-new, energy-efficient windows and doors in your home, the first step is to figure out the right time to have them installed!
Replacing windows and doors requires temporarily opening a space in your home’s exterior, as the old ones are removed and the new ones are installed. So you’ll need to consider how this renovation process might affect you and your home at different times of the year. Fortunately, installing new windows and doors only takes a day or two, but choosing a time when the weather won’t affect your comfort in the home may be worth it. Let’s explore the advantages of different times to replace your windows.
Signs it is Time to Replace Your Windows
Before you replace your windows, the first step is assessing the current state of your windows. Are they starting to look a little worse for wear? Do you want to change the look of your home? Or are you hoping to improve energy efficiency? All of these are great reasons to replace your windows and doors!
Here are a few signs it might be time to consider replacing your windows:
- Your energy bill is excessively high (especially during heat waves or cold spells)
- You feel a draft or hear air leaking through
- Your windows are difficult to open or close
- There is visible damage on the window frame or panes
- Condensation forms between double panes
- You can hear what’s happening outside a little too well (a sign of poor insulation!)
If you’re experiencing any of these red flags with your current windows and doors, it may be time to look at your calendar and figure out when you want to replace them.
Replacing Windows in Spring or Summer
The most popular time to replace windows and doors in Kansas and Missouri is during the warmer spring and summer months because the weather is more likely to be mild and cooperative. But you have a lot to consider, because there are also downsides to replacing your windows in these sunnier months.
Benefits of Spring or Summer Window Replacement
- Less likely to have adverse weather conditions during the replacement process
- Reduces cooling costs before the late summer heat
- Window installers may have more installation time due to the longer days and more daylight, potentially minimizing the installation time
Drawbacks of Spring or Summer Window Replacement
- Because this is the busy season for replacing windows and doors, prices may be higher
- Scheduling can be more difficult because of the increased demand
- Open windows result in a hot interior for your home during the summer
Replacing Windows in Fall or Winter
Although less popular for obvious weather reasons, there are still many benefits to replacing your windows in the fall or winter. Notably, you’ll enjoy less competition, and you can install your windows and doors according to your schedule!
Benefits of Fall or Winter Replacement
- Because fall and winter are considered the “off-seasons” for window replacement, prices are often lower (and the staff availability is greater)
- Early fall can be a great mild season, which can be ideal to take care of your windows and doors!
- Increase your energy efficiency before the very worst of the winter chill sets in
Drawbacks of Fall or Winter Replacement
- If you wait too late into the season, weather can slow or stall the installation process
- Chilly days may make being in your home during installation unpleasant
- The process may take longer due to decreased daylight hours
What Time of Year Should You Replace Your Windows?
Given all of the factors involved in replacing your windows and doors, when is the right time of year to do it? Well, it’s up to you! Remodeling involves a few complications any time of the year, of course, as you’re updating the place you live! But there’s never a wrong time to renovate your space.
Generally, fall and spring should offer less extreme weather here in the Midwest, but that doesn’t mean summer and winter are off the table! If you need to replace your windows and doors, we’re here to help all year round. Our professional team at Rolox Home Service makes it our mission to get the job done correctly and promptly, so you can relax and enjoy your new windows as soon as possible!
Curious about your window replacement options? Learn more about window replacement with Rolox Home Service and peruse our brochure, discover financing options, and get in touch with us for a free in-home estimate!